The 12km long Victoria Lines Malta trail runs along the top of a natural geographical barrier in Malta known as the Great Fault.
This natural ridge across the island has been used as a defensive barrier for hundreds of years.
The name Victoria Lines comes from the completion of a line of forts and defences along the route by the British in 1897, the year of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee.
The line was built to protect the towns and harbours to the south from any invasions to the north across the wide open lowlands.
This complex comprises of a massive (and very impressive) main arch, which is approximately 30m in height, as well as a system of 6 other caves, amongst which you will find the Honeymoon Cave, the Cat’s Cave and the beautiful Reflection Cave.
The deep, open waters of the area are what in fact created the complex. Throughout the centuries, the persistent crashing of the waves against the hard cliff face resulted in the formation of the huge, arch like grotto, as well as several adjoining caves and nearby rock formations.
The design of the present church is based on the Pantheon in Rome, and at one point had the third largest unsupported dome in the world. The church narrowly avoided destruction during WW2, since on 9 April 1942 a German aerial bomb pierced the dome and fell into the church during Mass but failed to explode.
Mdina has had different names and titles depending on its rulers and its role but its medieval name describe it best - ‘Citta' Notabile': the noble city.
It was home then, as now, to Malta's noble families; some are descendants of the Norman, Sicilian and Spanish overlords who made Mdina their home from the 12th century onwards.